Tuesday, January 11, 2011

There are no snow days in county...

I remember the hopeful, excitement that accompanied the promise of snow when I was growing up in Arkansas. Enough snow to shut down school was a rarity even though it only took an inch or two to shut down the town. The magic I felt at looking out the window to see the blazing white of a blanket of snow over the neighborhood was almost as good as Christmas. A day of freedom, of play, of sending myself flying down the hill I lived on at such a velocity that, frankly,  I am amazed to still be alive or ambulatory.

Breanna Lee, 14, of Blue Springs, slides down a hill at McCoy Park on an inner tube Monday afternoon. 1.10.2011 Adam Vogler



Now that I am living considerably farther north and work as  a newspaper photographer my feelings on snow in the forecast can't be aired during normal broadcast hours and the only eager anticipation felt is wondering if I'll remember where my long-johns are before I have to go to work. Snow means weather art, which means driving around and standing in the cold hoping that not every child in town isn't curled up next to their X-Box and that its possible to find someone enjoying their unexpected day off. I tend to shy away from people digging their vehicles out or shoveling their driveway and sidewalk. They tend to have the same feelings on winter wonderlands that I do. So whenever we have a snowfall I'm looking for the kids and the kid-at-hearts having fun.

Bobbi, left, Brandon, Jameson, 7, and Clayton, 8, Hammond walk up a hill at Old Mill Park while sledding Monday morning. 1.10.2011 Adam Vogler



Brielle Frechin, 8, right, and Katia Krysa, 11, sled down a hill at McCoy Park followed by various friends and family members Monday afternoon. 1.10.2011 Adam Vogler

A solitary childrens' glove lies on the snow in the parking lot at McCoy Park Monday afternoon. 1.10.2011 Adam Vogler

Katelyn Runyon, 8, prepares to snowboard down a hill at McCoy Park Monday afternoon. 1.10.2011 Adam Vogler

Jameson Hammond, 7, walks up a hill at Old Mill Park to take another run while sledding with his parents and brother Monday morning. 1.10.2011 Adam Vogler
But since life can't be all fun and games I got to spend a delightful hour or so staking out the courthouse to get shots of two guys who aren't exactly in the running for man of the year. Evidently you don't get to have snow days in the county jail so two men facing homicide charges were still appearing in circuit court despite the weather.

David Love escorted from the Jackson County Courthouse annex in Independence after his arraignment. The former Independence pastor pleaded not guilty to one count of first-degree murder and armed criminal action in connection with the shooting death of Randy Stone, a former member of Love’s church.  1.10.2011 Adam Vogler

Larry Wilson exits the Jackson County Courthouse annex in Independence after an appearance in Jackson County Circuit court. Larry K. Wilson, 42, has been indicted for first-degree murder and armed criminal action. Jackson County prosecutors say Wilson shot 53-year-old James Matthias in the head with a .357-caliber handgun on Dec. 13. 1.10.2011 Adam Vogler

Larry Wilson, middle, knocks the snow from his feet before entering the Jackson County Courthouse annex in Independence for an appearance in Jackson County Circuit court. Larry K. Wilson, 42, has been indicted for first-degree murder and armed criminal action. Jackson County prosecutors say Wilson shot 53-year-old James Matthias in the head with a .357-caliber handgun on Dec. 13. 1.10.2011 Adam Vogler


I don't like shooting perp-walks all that much, there's a lot of waiting often a large number of media crowding around, and rarely the opportunity to make any interesting pictures. That said its an important part of the job. Luckily the snow and the fact the Love appeared in a suit for the first time enabled me to make some different frames than usual. All and all it was a good day.

Dozens of children and adults use a variety of methods to slide down a hill at McCoy Park Monday afternoon. 1.10.2011 Adam Vogler

No comments:

Post a Comment